Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our Annual Boise River Float



A few years ago, we floated the Boise River for the first time. Now we make sure we do it at least once a summer. Saturday we decided to rent a five person raft and all go down together. It was an absolute beautiful day for a lazy river float. The trip lasts about an hour and a half from Barber Park to Ann Morrison Park. We certainly weren't the only ones with this plan. There were lots of rafters enjoying the water that day.


Here are the first "rapids" that we encountered. On the second set of "rapids", we actually got stuck on the rocks. Matt and I had to partially get out of the raft to push us off. A big, pointy rock was poking up in the center of the boat. We were a bit nervous that it was going to rip through.


None of us wanted to get out of the boat and get wet on this particular outing. But I almost fell off the side when we were going under a bridge, and we bumped into a cement pole. I had been rowing while straddling the right side. Luckily, Emma grabbed my left leg and hung on until Matt got hold of me and pulled me back just as I was about to slip over. I'm glad I did not plunge into the cold water.


With the price of the raft rental came five life vests, so we didn't bring our own. These Ada County jackets are pretty dorky looking. Life vests are required on the river, but most people don't bother obeying that law. But we aren't most people! Josh was particularly embarrassed and wanted to take his off. We told him it was his choice, but as parents, we weren't giving our ok for him to take it off. I don't know if people were looking at us funny, but Matt and I didn't really care.

So, come to Boise in July through September, and we'll take you on a little ride! You can even wear one of the dorky vests!

No comments:

Post a Comment