Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Remembering Is the Seed of Gratitude- Day Three

Treating lots of blistered feet every morning


By day three, we were all looking mighty dirty. Without extra water to wash in, I was sure thankful that I had brought along cleansing wipes for my face and baby wipes for the rest of me. I didn't bring a lick of makeup with me, but I did bring along a handy little compact mirror that I kept in my big ol' apron pockets. I know that the handcart pioneers didn't carry mirrors, but they also didn't have braces on their teeth! I brought it for the sole purpose of cleaning out my teeth after I ate. Here's a shout out to the guy who invented those tiny brushes that can slide in between ones brackets. Thanks dude! My apron also carried Chapstick (another important invention for mankind), gum for anyone who wanted it (because I don't chew it right now), a Sharpie marker (very handy), my water bottle (necessary), leather gloves, and my hymnbook. At times, I also threw in some food like a granola bar and fruit snacks. Another day, I had a womanly sanitary item hidden in there for a young lady. Pioneer women were not stupid. Apron pockets rock!

My full pockets


This day, I knew was going to be a HARD one... as if it wasn't already hard. But on this day, we were headed up "Rocky Ridge". I had driven on it with Joyce and Jeff about six weeks prior. I knew how steep it would be. Joyce had pleaded with Jeff Ball and the bishop not to make this part of our journey. They compromised and decided we would go up four miles to the green valley and instead of continuing on that rough "Rocky Ridge", we would have lunch there, be met by upset indians who didn't want us on their sacred lands, and we would head back down the way we came... and camp at "White Rocks" for night three. Very few of us knew about this plan ahead of time. It's a good thing because going up was very difficult and coming back down was pretty bad also. Matt didn't take very many pictures on this leg of our journey because it was dang hard for him too. His pack full of camera gear and some water weighed 40 pounds! According to the man who oversees the church camp, we are the first trek group to ever go up the "Rocky Ridge" way!

Josh and family on their way past "White Rocks"


Helping the Hammers up "Rocky Ridge"


I thought that wearing that blue bonnet was going to be a big pain, but boy, was I thankful for it! It was so nice to keep that pounding sun off of my face. And in the evenings I wore it occasionally to keep the wind out of my ears.

Lunch time in the green valley


Sitting never felt so good


Everybody after lunch


Indian raid (by Brother and Sister Bevens)


Arrival at "White Rocks" camp


Circle of "beehives"


After dinner, we had lots of fun. The best part was the stick pull. It got a bit competitive!


As we sat in a large circle, we enjoyed listening to the bishop give a nice talk. He asked us these three questions (may not be his exact words) during our trek experience:
1) What price are you willing to pay to know God?
2) What are you willing to give up?
3) What will you do to remember?

To celebrate the birthday of our beloved Joyce Farris, the trek organizer, we had delicious strawberry shortcake. The young men served the womenfolk first. Very nice gesture of respect:) Matt was so busy taking pictures that he didn't get any and it was all gone by the time he decided to put down his camera. Way to take one for the team, Matt!

Lovely Joyce


Yum-O


Testimony meeting ended our wonderfully, tiring day!
Lights out.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to use your idea of "apron pockets" for a talk at Girls camp for easing other's burdens, little ways to help others climb their "Rocky ridge." You look so great pulling that handcart in your apron with your pockets full!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken! I'm glad I could help. What a great analogy you made. I'll have to remember that for a future talk. That is awesome that you get to go to girls' camp and speak. Sam will be so proud. She still inspires me to want to be a better YW president. Our camp is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll be thinking about her and trying to be like her. May your pockets be full!!

    ReplyDelete