Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's For "Old" Women, Too

This past Sunday, I finally let the bishop know that I was ready to receive my Young Womanhood Recognition Award. I was a little hesitant to award myself with a medallion since I'm the young women president. I also didn't want to get up in sacrament meeting and be the center of attention. But my counselors encouraged me to receive it in front of everybody just like the girls. I knew they were right. It would be an opportunity for me to set a good example for the girls and their mothers. Hopefully, it would also help my kids to remember that their mom has a testimony and that she works hard at being a better woman and servant of the Lord.
I got up and explained to the congregation that this program is for "old" ladies, too, not just for young women. I shared my testimony of personal progress and that it helps us to come to know our Savior better and become more like Him. Since I have already made sacred temple covenants, it helps me to remember and keep those covenants. It also has helped me to strengthen my own family and hopefully other families. I also shared one of my value projects which was to write in my journal every week for one year. After being horrible about writing for many years, it was an awesome experience for me to take that time each week to write about myself. It started a great habit that continues today, three years later. Being up at the pulpit wasn't so bad. As I tell me kids, it's the anticipation that is the worst part of things. I'm grateful for the opportunity to earn a YW medallion for the second time in my life. Now I get to start working on my Honor Bee. Forty hours of service (which includes helping a YW with her own personal progress) and re-reading the Book of Mormon. I should be done with that in no time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment