Friday, April 5, 2013

Unexpected Tears

I wanted to quickly share an experience I just had at a local market here in Meridian.  My friend had told me yesterday that this farmer's market type of store had strawberries on sale for $.89 a pound.  I hustled down there this morning hoping they still had them.  I walked right in and placed two flats of the berries on the counter and proceeded to pay for them.  Just then, I got so emotional as I was looking around at all of the beautiful variety of produce that was so clean and accessible for me.  I started to cry right then and there.  I was a bit embarrassed at first, and I explained to the lady that I had just got back from India and this was my first purchase.  I told her how grateful I am for all of this food.  I had tears in my eyes and my voice kept catching.  I was shocked at myself for having this emotional reaction in public.  I didn't see it coming.  The lady understood and appreciated what I was saying.

I am forever changed for the better.  I know that I didn't have to go half way around the world to be grateful for my abundant blessings.  But this experience of seeing extreme poverty and unsanitary conditions has opened my eyes and heart in such a profound way.  The people in India that have virtually nothing and live among filth still find happiness and love in their lives.  They still smile and laugh despite having a hard life.  I want to be satisfied with what I have.  I don't want or need any more.  God has been so kind to me.  I find happiness and love in my life, and that is enough.  The abundant food and clean environment that is around me is an added bonus.


The words to a hymn just came to my mind.  Even if you are familiar with this hymn, read through the words once again.  They are so meaningful to me today.

Because I have been given much, I too must give;
Because of they great bounty, Lord, each day I live
I shall divide my gifts from thee
With every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care,
I cannot see another's lack and I not share
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread,
My roof's safe shelter overhead,
That he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord,
I'll share they love again, according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need;
I'll show that love by word and deed
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

I will continue to write more blog entries about the last four days in India.  Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. We found that to be true in the Dominican where in the airport the signs say welcome to the people who smile, or something similar and that is what I remember. Their big huge smiles in shocking conditions. Sometimes we need to experience these events to really give us a reality check! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete