Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Christmas: Day 1-6

It's time for my favorite Christmas tradition! I love planning our 12 Days of Christmas. This is my 4th year doing it. I started this tradition after reading a book by my mom's friend, Betty Van Orden. Her first book is called The Twelve Days of Christmas: Ideas For a More Meaningful Holiday Season. She has an encore book with more ideas. I can't say enough good things about it. I get so excited at the end of the summer as I begin my planning.  It takes a lot of thought and effort at times, but I love every moment of it.


My themes have been "Making Memories", "Give As the Savior Gives", "Angels Among Us", and this year's theme is "An Idaho Christmas".   Nobody knows the theme until the first day.

Each year, I work in a couple of annual gifts like ornaments for each child, a new Christmas book, and service.  Here's our first 6 days of this year.  More to come after Day 12.


On the FIRST day of Christmas
We bring to you with love…

Ornaments for Our Tree

This year, our 12 Days theme is “An Idaho Christmas”.  We live in a pretty great state, so each day’s gift will have something to do with Idaho.  You will always remember The Potato State as you place this funny, little ornament on your Christmas tree every year. 




On the SECOND day of Christmas
We bring to you with love…

Spud Bars

Made in Idaho!  What a unique yummy treat!  Who knew a potato could taste so good?  Only in Idaho can you get chocolate marshmallow potatoes.  Enjoy!


 

On the THIRD day of Christmas
We bring to you with love…

A Christmas Book and Old Fashioned Candy Sticks

Here is a tiny book to add to our wonderful collection of Christmas stories.  This one is called “The Night Before Christmas in Idaho”.  What do you think happens on the night before Christmas here in Idaho?  Let’s spend a few minutes together and find out!




On the FOURTH day of Christmas
We bring to you with love…

Potato Guns

That’s right!  We are going to have a potato gun fight in the backyard!  Did you ever think that you’d be hit with flying potato pellets?  Who do you think will have the best aim?  Let’s go outside and have some fun together!


On the FIFTH day of Christmas
We bring to you with love…

Dinner at Boise Fry Company

This local restaurant opened here in Boise in 2009.  Not only are they popular here in the Treasure Valley, it has since been promoted nationally by the Food Network and by ESPN Game Day host, Erin Andrews.  Let’s go eat there tonight for dinner!  Which of the seven types of fries will be your fav?  Will you try the blueberry ketchup or how about the bison burger?


On the SIXTH day of Christmas
We bring to you with love…

A Movie Night

Tonight we will be watching a family favorite… Napoleon Dynamite.  Filmed here in Idaho, this low budget movie really made it big time!  Guess what’s for dinner?  Lyle got some steak for us to eat tonight! Who needs Napoleon’s tots when we have our own Idaho potatoes. And since Kip didn’t eat all of the chips, we can have some of those, too, while we watch the movie together.






3 comments:

  1. So fun! I think I will adopt this as a tradition starting next year. The hard part is the theme but I really like the ones that you have done! Napoleon Dynamite is a must see!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book got me started on some theme ideas. It gets my creative juices flowing. But last year I did the angel one cause Matt's sister passed away earlier that year and I thought it was a perfect theme for the year. I think I already know what I will do next year. But I will decide in August just in case something else seems to be more applicable then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will both have our first child leaving next year so I think next Christmas will be special having them come home!! I will have to start thinking on it and get that book!

    ReplyDelete