Thursday, September 6, 2012

A New Twist To This Race Of Mine

Guess who's back in the workforce after 18 years?  Yours truly, Me.  I had my first day of being a substitute teacher in the Meridian School District.  This is me this morning as I was leaving my empty house to go be an extended resource room (ERR) aide from 9:00 to 3:30.


I had a cute, red, dry clean only top on (fresh from the cleaners).  MISTAKE.  I had one hour to shower and get myself to the school.  It was the first thing I saw, so I grabbed it.  I wasn't really thinking about what type of environment I was heading into.

I was assigned to work with an adorable boy named Seth.  He is a non-verbal, special needs boy who was feeling a little under the weather today.  He had a cold and was a bit sleepy in the afternoon.  I took him on a walk at recess, watched him enjoy the back and forth movement of the swing in the classroom, helped him with the touch screen computer games, used an iPad with him, fed him snack, read an interactive book with him, tried to get him to sort two colors of blocks, and then had him stack them into a tower.  All of that was in slow motion over a six hour period.

Being an ERR aide wasn't so bad.  The ladies in there were super nice and showed me things to do with Seth.  It's not something I would want to do every day, but it is an important place to help out.  Substituting will be a flexible job for me.  I'm hoping to get a regular classroom job soon.  I'd like to start with middle school.  I think I'd do best there.

Why am I back in the workforce?  This post will tell you why.  Substituting is going to help me get to India on March 25, 2013.  I want to work to pay for our plane tickets.  My service in India will mean that much more to me as I work to get us there.  Our applications were accepted last week.  We've been assigned our session dates, and I'm reading the preparation packet that I was sent.  There are a lot of little details that need to be taken care of in the next few months.  Did you know that I'm SUPER excited to serve the leprosy affected?  I think about it each and every day.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to hear about your trip. You will be forever changed I am sure. Sacrifice brings blessings they always say so prepare to be blessed!!

    ReplyDelete