Thursday, June 9, 2011

Our Square Foot Garden

Last year I bought the All New Square Foot Gardening book by Mel Bartholomew. I had Matt build us two 4x4 boxes out of cedar wood (I think that is what we used) and had intentions to begin trying out the system that summer. We never got the boxes filled with the "Mel's Mix" though. They sat empty all summer, fall, and winter. And most of this spring due to the crappy weather we have had. But finally, we purchased the right ingredients for our boxes and got them filled.

A bit heavy for little Emma.


Stirring up the vermiculite and compost/peat moss mixture. Gotta love bat guano!


All filled... waiting for the grid to be made.


Then I went out and bought my seeds and vegetables to plant. We got another decent day, and Emma came out and helped me get them planted. We planted bush beans, carrots, roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and a big variety of tomatoes that I can't remember the name of. We have an english cucumber, zuchinni squash, onions, yellow bell, and red bell pepper. We also planted some herbs... cilantro, basil, and italian parsley... three herbs I regularly buy. I still have some empty squares because, since I'm not growing anything vertically this year, I wanted to leave a bit of space for the big plants.





I can't wait to see it full and producing lots of yumminess!

You should check out this little video by Mel that briefly explains square foot gardening. You might like to give it a try. Click HERE TO WATCH.

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading your list of veggies and herbs in your garden and thinking fajitas, salsa, shish ka bobs, pastas, salads, you've got a dream garden! I wish we could do that - too many gigantic bugs that make me scared to weed, lol. keep us posted on the rewards, I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, the beautiful thing about doing this kind of garden is that there aren't any weed seeds already in this soil mixture. If you get weeds, it is either from a seed that blew in or one that might have creeped up around the weed barrier that I put down before adding the soil ingredients. I have only pulled four small weeds so far! The soil stays loose because it doesn't get compacted by stepping on it, so it is super easy to pull the occasional weed. You should try one. Even a smaller one would be great. Check out the website. I'll show more pictures of mine when it all starts to grow big.

    ReplyDelete