Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Ugly Room

Here is my ugly room. My laundry room/entryway into my misplaced pantry (the area under my stairs).



I am thankful to have a separate area for my laundry... it isn't in my kitchen or hallway like I've had before. But I have got to do something about it. FIrst off, the paint color is what was here when I moved in. I have never liked it. That same color is all over my walls upstairs except for the kids' rooms. I gotta paint it... soon!

I have let this all-important room go to pot. It's cluttered with scrapbooking supplies, my ironing pile, my unused sewing machine, and old home decor items that I need to throw away. Why have I held onto them? If they were anywhere else in my house, they would have been tossed long ago. See that dusty sunflower plant in the corner? I bought that in Cape Girardeau, Missouri about 13 years ago. It was pretty at one time, but it has since fulfilled its purpose. And those pictures hanging on my walls. What the heck? That americana drawing that I colored (or did I paint it?) is the OLDEST picture in my house. I made that with my sister 16 years ago! Why do I still have that hanging up? Why is it still even in my possession?



This other beauty is from Jamesport, Missouri, the largest Amish community in the state. It was near Kirksville, where Matt went to medical school. I really liked this serene picture.... 15 years ago. It's pretty ugly now. Time to let go off it.



I have high hopes for this laundry room of mine. Besides fresh paint, I would love to rip out the cupboards and have new ones put in. I'd like them to be more attractive, but mostly I'd love them to help me be more organized. Everything needs its own place. That empty wall with the Amish picture is just begging to be better utilized! I need a good shelf for my scrapbook stuff. I'd like to have a tall, skinny closet for my broom, mop, and my huge (but oh so nice) ironing board. I'd love to have the cupboards be really deep so that I can put some of my 10# food storage cans in them. I'm tired of crawling down into The Pit (our crawl space under the stairs) to get more cans of flour or sugar, etc.

But, I think I will just have to be patient with fixing this ugly room. I can't afford the custom cabinetry right now. So I guess I will just have to paint and call it good. Choosing paint... that's another dilemma.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with that, Kim. Here's a good motivator:
    http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2010/06/laundry-room-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rach for the link. Matt was just talking about a riser/shelf for under the washer and dryer. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite website right now is www.houseofsmiths.blogspot.com
    She has lovely paint colors and fun ideas. I think she even has a riser tutorial for under the washer dryer as well.
    I also like www.joysofhome.blogspot.com. She does a lot of DIY redecorating. Before throwing out your Amish picture (unless you REALLY hate it) try changing out the mat and picture frame for a lighter look. Or even painting your existing one. The dark green is, well....just too dark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I really hate it. The picture is cheap looking and just very country looking. I'll check out those blogs you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Word! I can't believe you still have that picture!! Yes, you painted it with me many moons ago. I must say though, seeing it brings back the good ole days of tiny kids that listen and just watched Barney and Sesame Street. Thanks for the memory lane excursion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny, huh, Kristen? Thanks for reading my blog:) I'm posting again tonight.

    ReplyDelete