Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Task I Love

Some moms might think that doing this is a big pain or they might make their kids do this for themselves, but this little task is how I have chosen to serve my kids every school morning.


And I love it.

My kids have typically not liked school lunch. (thank goodness) Well, except for J-Man in middle school. But this year, all three of them eat lunch from home every day. I make each of them just what they want. Luckily, it is pretty simple.

Chelsea has eaten the same sandwich at school for years. Peanut butter and jam. Yep. She is as basic as you can get. She likes turkey sandwiches but doesn't like them after they have been sitting around in her locker for several hours. And you know that it is NOT cool to have an insulated lunchbox from 6th grade and beyond. I wonder how many pb&js she has eaten in her life?

Josh is into turkey sandwiches on toasted bread. No mayo please. Just a little butter spread on there. (yuck). Add some provolone and some shredded lettuce and he is good to go.

Emma alternates between a half turkey sandwich (with some american cheese) and pb&j.

I throw in some sort of fruit (banana, grapes, apple slices, Cutie oranges) and a bag of chips (real healthy, I know) or sometimes pretzels, and then a drink. Don't forget the napkin.

Here's another tidbit... Josh likes his paper lunch sack stapled together at the top. Maybe he had an embarrassing moment at school where he spilled out his lunch. I don't know. I don't ask. It's just something I do.

My kids probably don't realize it now, but their lunches are filled with all kinds of LOVE.

Aren't you glad you know this now?

2 comments:

  1. I keep trying to comment but it won't let me. Hopefully it does today. I love this post, cause I feel the same. Joel gets mad at me when I make their lunches, but I love doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Nat. I'm glad it worked. I saw your email about the hotdog bun. Sounds like that is burned in your memory forever. Our kids have it pretty darn good, don't they. At least for now. We never know what the future holds. It's good to be a mommy:)

    ReplyDelete