Wednesday, March 23, 2011

China Part 2

You know what intrigued me most about The Amazing Race this past Sunday? "Hard Sleepers" in China. What in the world is that, you wonder? Hard sleepers are 3-tiered sleeping bunks on trains in China. There's a strange part of me that actually wants to travel on one! I'm not sure which bunk I'd want to sleep on... top, middle, or bottom. Hmmmm. Which would be the least creepy to curl up in? I've read that, despite their name, the berths are well padded and come with bedding. They are a bit cheaper than "soft sleepers" which have four beds per compartment instead of six. Upper and lower. The lower beds convert to couches for daytime use.



Watch this short behind the scenes CLIP from "the show". It shows the cowboy team (love them!) with the southern pageant girl (hate her!) chatting while on their 8 hour ride on one of these trains.

Can you say "claustrophobia"? Throw in there the strange sound of a foreign language being used all around you and the smells that might be present... and I think I might be a bit freaked out. But, again, I kinda wanna try it out.

Here's what my train ticket would look like. Talk about butterflies in my stomach! Yikes. Just a bit intimidating!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Just have to comment one last time. I've been there, done that Kim! It's really not too bad! You just hope someone in your group has the lowest bunk so you can get together and chat... Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see any pictures you might have of your stay in China. You had quite the adventure.

    How's the belly growing? I hope you are doing well. How far along are you now?

    ReplyDelete