Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reclaiming the "K"

The Amazing Race, once again, went to India. I love it when they go there. It is on my list of places I'd like to go to, but it is low on the list since Matt doesn't want to touch foot there. Am I crazy for wanting to go?


This season, the teams go to Kolkata. Calcutta? No, Kolkata is right. I was surprised when I saw the spelling of it on tv the other day. Knowing that Bombay is now called Mumbai, I figured Calcutta is now called Kolkata for a reason. So I did a little research.

India became independent of British rule in 1947. "Calcutta" was the anglecised name of Kolkata. In 2001, the spelling was changed back to reflect the Bengali pronunciation. Some view this as a move to erase the legacy of British rule. But much of western media have been slow to adapt to the change. They need to get with it! Now I know.

What do you think of when you think of India?

I think about my most favorite accent... a native person from India speaking english. I love to listen to it! I've tried to do it myself, but I stink at it.

I think about colors. Vibrant colors.



I think about noise. Lots of people. Massive car, rickshaw, and foot traffic...mixed with cow traffic.


I think about smells. I've never been there, but I can only imagine the intense foreign smells that must be present the moment one steps off of the airplane. I had a beautiful indian friend in Virginia. Her name was Sandeep. Then, for some reason, it changed to Anu. I spent the night at her house, and it definitely had an aroma that I wasn't used to smelling.

I think about exotic looking women. Women with jewelry and silky sarees. The parents of that same friend of mine owned a little boutique in Washington DC. I spent the afternoon with Anu there once. It was so fun to try on the rings and colorful scarves, etc. I don't think that I have ever seen an unattractive east indian woman. The men... that's another story.

I think of wide spread poverty as well as extreme wealth.

I think about religions that I don't know much about. My friend Anu was Sikh. I had to look up that spelling. Now I know at least how it is spelled.

I think of curry. I think of yummy food. I think of monkey brains. Didn't Indiana Jones go to India and eat monkey brains? Let's hope that is just in the movies:)



Elephants. The Tajmahal. Hand painting with henna. Elaborate long wedding celebrations. Belly dancing. Tigers. Yoga.




India. I need to learn more about it.

1 comment:

  1. Love your posts Kim. You are such a good writer!
    One of the physicians I work with visited India a year or so ago and fell in love with everything about it. She went back earlier this year and has a plan to go back this summer.
    Do you remember Jamie Ballantine? She married a man from India. Her wedding pictures were so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete